Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Art Adventures

Mom took us out on an art field trip today. She started out in a good mood, but then got really cranky about the whole thing. You can read about it here. Anyway - we had a great time and got to sketch in the museum and continued when we got back home. Here's what we came up with...
I sketched a really cool glass trophy skull. At first I thought it was real, but then Mom told me someone blew glass through a tube and made it. I saw a guy blow a glass mug at Stone Mountain. Totally wicked.
We saw some really big paintings by this guy, Hunt Slonem. I mean, they were humungous. They had a lot of macaws on them, and I like macaws, so I drew one.
Joshua liked the macaws, too, but he thought the composition needed something, so he added a big tree with lots of limbs to his sketch. He's just like that.



When we got home, he drew this picture of a pig queen. He makes his "p" backwards because he's just a little kid. And it only says "Mom" on it because it is for Mom...she's not a pig queen. :-D

We also signed up for art classes at a local art center that will start in March. We're pretty excited about it. Mom says we may learn how to paint so we can be artists when we grow up. Or firemen...or secret agents...or clowns.

Peace,

Derek

2 comments:

Linda said...

Cool drawings. The macaws are great drawings and are very cool interpretations of what you saw in the paintings. The skull just rocks! The pig queen made me laugh -- I'm glad to know that your mom is NOT the pig queen herself.
:-D You are going to have a lot of fun with your art classes at the Fountain City Art Center. I'll try to get off work sometimes and come up there to see all the great art you'll be doing.

Anonymous said...

Dear Derek & Joshua,

Your drawings are super cool! We enjoyed seeing them. Keep drawing & painting, even if you decide to be firemen.

Best,
Hunt Slonem Studio